OUR HISTORY

old-fire-station.jpg

The Alexandria Fire Department was organized in 1937. A garage was purchased in the rear of the present Alexandria Court House and a 1938 Ahrens Fox pumper was purchased as the first piece of fire apparatus. A second piece of apparatus was purchased in 1954.

On June 1, 1959, the fire department moved into the

new fire station at 5 Pete Neiser Drive.

In May of 1961, a used life squad was purchased from

the Mack, Ohio Fire Department commencing the

start of the local ambulance service. In 1994, AFD

purchased its first aerial ladder truck. Over the

following years, more modern equipment was added.

In 1976, Campbell County Fire District #5 was organized. The first paid Fire Chief was hired in 1997. On December 17, 1999, the fire department moved to the present facility at 7951 Alexandria Pike due to outgrowing the Pete Neiser Station. On May 19th, 2004, Campbell County Fire District #5 was officially changed to the Alexandria Fire District per County Ordinance O-09-04.

 

​The Alexandria Fire District is a special fire taxing district that encompasses a twenty-five square mile area, including the City of Alexandria and surrounding Campbell County area. The population served by the Fire District is approximately 17,000 citizens and continues to grow. The Fire District consists of a mix of commercial, residential, and educational facilities, including one of the largest middle schools in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Many new subdivisions are in the construction phase including the 1200 residential unit Arcadia subdivision.  Others include Summer Lake, Jefferson Street, Timber Ridge, and Eagles Nest subdivisions.  A multi-unit apartment complex is in the initial stages on Alexandria Pike.  Many new commercial projects have recently opened to include Burke’s Outlet, Harbor Freight, and Chipotle. The fire protection Insurance Services Office rating as of July 1, 2019 for the Fire District is a Class 2-2X. The Fire District has a career staff of eighteen (18) personnel and maintains a volunteer staff of (39) thirty-nine dedicated individuals. This includes scholar students as part of a SAFER grant awarded in 2016. The Fire District responds to approximately 1250 EMS responses and 550 fire responses per year. The Fire District’s equipment includes 2 Engine Companies, 1 Truck Company, 1 Heavy Rescue Company, a first response vehicle, and all terrain rescue/fire suppression ATV unit, a quick response boat, 2 command vehicles, and 2 Advanced Life Support ambulances.

 

The Fire District population is projected to have much growth over the next 5 years and the Fire District will continue to grow with equipment and personnel to keep up with the pace.

old-fire-b.jpg
Vehicles_edited.jpg